What's better on a gorgeous sunshiny morning than some Homemade Apple Butter. This is so easy and it's nothing like the store bought stuffs! Fresh Apples with cinnamon and nutmeg and only enough brown sugar to bring out the flavor of the apples.
Homemade Apple Butter
- 8 apples peeled and diced
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
1. Place all ingredients in a slow cooker and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
2. Remove from slow cooker and puree in a food processor or use an immersion blender until completely smooth.
3. Spoon in jelly jars (half pints) leaving 1/4 inch head space, remove any air bubbles, wipe the rims of the jars and place lids on.
Note: Apple Butter can be placed in refrigerator if it is to be consumed within a week, otherwise it needs to be canned. (see directions below)
Powered by Recipage
Serve on toast or with homemade biscuits!
(*See Below for complete canning and water bath instructions)
*Canning and Water Bath Instructions:
1. Fill a home canner half-way with water. You could also use a large sauce pot or stock pot with a cake rack placed on the bottom to keep the jars from touching the bottom of the pot. Place empty jars in the water, bring water to a simmer over medium heat.
2. Remove the jars one at a time and fill, leaving 1/4 head space. Carefully remove any bubbles. (I use a wooden or porcelain chopstick, do not use metal). Place lids on jars.
3. Place filled jars back into the water bath. The water should come up to within 1-2 inches of the top of the jar and the jars should not be crowded.
4. Bring temperature to a rolling boil and boil for 15 minutes. Carefully remove using a jar lifter and set on a clean dry towel. Let sit undisturbed for 12-24 hours.
5. Check to make sure they have sealed by touching the center, it should not move up and down.