These Taco Boasts are fun and are filled with highly seasoned beef that is cooked for 3 hours until fork tender!! When the tortillas are baked in these fun pans, it makes a great and fun dish!!
Beer Braised Beef Taco Boats
- 8 dried red New Mexico Chile's (Anaheim)
- 1 1/2 onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 gloves of garlic
- 1-14oz can of fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of chili powder
- 1 tablespoon of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 oz Corona Extra Mexican Beer
- 2.5 lbs of top round roast
- 1 15 oz can of black beans
- olive oil
- corn tortillas (2 per person)
- low fat cheddar cheese
- 1 jalapeño, sliced lengthwise
- 1 avocado
1. Stem, seed and tear the chiles into about 1 inch pieces. Place in a large bowl and cover with very hot water. Let stand until softened, about 20 minutes. Drain.
2. Place chiles in blender or food processor. Add onions, garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt and the canned tomatoes with juice to the blender. Process until smooth. Add beer and stir until blended. Set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
4. Heat olive oil in a large dutch oven. Season roast with salt and pepper and add to the dutch oven. Brown on both sides about 7-8 minutes each
5. Pour in sauce from the blender to cover the meat and bring to a simmer. Cover, place in oven and bake for 3 hours.
6. Add black beans and bake for another 30 minutes until meat is tender and can be shredded with a fork (fall apart tender)
7. Remove the meat, place on a cutting board, shred the meat using two forks. Place meat back into the sauce, stir until all the meat is well coated with sauce.
8. Wrap the corn tortillas in a paper towel and place in microwave to soften. Cook on high for 30 seconds
9. Tortillas will be limber and can be dropped into the pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
10. Pop them out of the pans and place on plate. Fill with about 1 cup of the meat mixture, (pile it high)!! Top with lettuce, tomato, cheese, jalapeño slices and avocado!!
Powered by Recipage
Healthy Trivia on this dish:
1. Top Round Steak is a leaner cut of meat
2. Black Beans are more nutritious than pinto beans and contain more fiber. They are higher in protein and have lower levels of cholesterol.
3. Corn tortillas are only 90 calories for two
4. Of course, baking the tortillas is better than frying
5. Olive oil and avocados contain good fats (monounsaturated fat)
6. Only 12 oz of beer was used which is about 148 calories. Divided by 6 servings=25 calories per serving. Worth the extra flavoring! And well worth the result of extra tender beef:))