Christmas is a very special time of the year and I always wish to have extra special treats around. These layer bar cookies are extra special but fairly easy to make. They are not too sweet and are perfect with a latte or being served at one of the many Christmas Parties that we attend this time of the year!
Black and White Peppermint Bars
- For the Sugar Cookie Layer
- 1 1/2 cups of flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 10 Tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup white chocolate chips
- For the Brownie Layer
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 10 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon mint extract
- 3/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/4 cup white chocolate chips
- 5 chocolate mint candle canes
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees and line a 13 X 9 inch baking pan with non stick aluminum foil.
Sugar Cookie Layer
1. In a bowl, whisk flour and salt
2. In a separate bowl, beat melted butter and sugar until fluffy about 2 minutes.
3. Add flour mixture to butter and sugar mixture and beat to combine.
4. Stir in White chocolate chips.
5. Press firmly and evenly into the foil lined pan
6. Refrigerate 15 minutes
1. In a large bowl, whisk flour, cocoa powder, sugar and salt. Beat in melted butter, egg, milk and mint extract. Stir in semi sweet chocolate chips.
2. Dollop evenly over sugar cookie layer and spread with a spatula dipped in warm water to prevent sticking. (re-dip as needed)
1. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, cool.
2. Remove from pan and place on work surface.
3. Meanwhile melt the remaining (1 1/4 cups) white chocolate chips per package directions.
4. Drizzle or spread over bar cookies
5. Crush candy canes and sprinkle over the top
6. After white chocolate is cooled and hardened, cut into squares