I don't believe I have ever made a strawberry pie or even eaten one and that is so sad. This is now one of my very favorite pies! This strawberry pie recipe has a special twist, a lemony cream cheese bottom layer! It really enhances the flavor of these lovely strawberries. This is also a perfect dessert for a dinner party or potluck.
with Lemony Cream Cheese Layer
- 1 pie crust
- 6 cups strawberries cut in half and hulled
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- Red food color
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
1. Heat oven to 425. Prick bottom and sides of pie pastry thoroughly with fork.
2. Bake 8 minutes or until light brown, remove from oven and allow to cool on a rack.
3. In small bowl, mash enough strawberries to measure one cup.
4. In medium saucepan, mix sugar and cornstarch. Gradually stir in 1/2 cup water and the 1 cup of mashed strawberries, and 2-3 drops of red food color.
5. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils, boil and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat and allow to cool
6. In medium mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and lemon zest.
7. Spread the cream cheese mixture evenly on the bottom of the pie crust.
8. Pile the remaining strawberries on top of the cream cheese.
9. Pour cooked strawberry mixture evenly over top.
10. Place in fridge for at least 3 -4 hours, preferable overnight to set.