Make this Shepherd’s Pie with Mashed Potatoes that is a Healthy Makeover Shepherds Pie. This Healthy Shepherds Pie Recipe is our version of a light Shepherd’s Pie.
This post contains affiliate links which means if you make a purchase we might receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
We are living a healthier lifestyle and are reaping the benefits, but we are refusing to give up all the food we love. We are taking some of the best recipes and seeing how a few changes can make them lighter and healthier. You don’t have to make huge changes in a recipe to reap the benefits of a healthier dish. A few cuts here and there all day and it adds up at the end of the day.
Other recipes similar to this Light Shepherd’s Pie:
- 21 of the Best Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes
- The Best Turkey Meatloaf Recipe
- Chicken Parmigiana- Healthier Version
Healthier Light Shepherds Pie
- 1 lb red potatoes peeled and cut into quarters
- 1/3 cup low-fat milk
- 2 Tablespoons reduced-fat cream cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound ground beef extra lean
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 large carrots chopped
- 2 celery stalks finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas thawed
- 1 cup frozen corn thawed
- In a covered 2-quart saucepan place potatoes and add enough water to cover, heat to boiling on high. Reduce heat to medium; uncover and simmer 18 minutes or until tender.
- Drain well: return the potatoes to the saucepan, add milk, cream cheese and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Mash until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Heat large skillet on medium high heat, add beef and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the black pepper, cook about 5 minutes or until browned and cooked through, stirring and breaking up the meat.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer beef to a large bowl.
- In the same skillet on medium high heat, add onions, celery, and carrots, add 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Cook for about 8 minutes until veggies are soft
- Add wine to veggies, cook for about 2 minutes, stirring to incorporate brown bits from the pan and until reduced by half.
- Stir in thyme and beef, along with any juices
- Add peas and corn and combine well.
- 10. In a 3-quart baking dish, add beef and veggie mixture and spread evenly.
- 11. Top with the mashed potatoes and spread to cover the beef and veggies.
- 12 Bake for 25 minutes until top is golden brown.