Make this Shepherd’s Pie with Mashed Potatoes that is a Healthy Makeover Shepherds Pie. This Healthy Shepherds Pie Recipe is our version of a light Shepherd’s Pie.
This post contains affiliate links which means if you make a purchase we might receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
We are living a healthier lifestyle and are reaping the benefits, but we are refusing to give up all the food we love. We are taking some of the best recipes and seeing how a few changes can make them lighter and healthier. You don’t have to make huge changes in a recipe to reap the benefits of a healthier dish. A few cuts here and there all day and it adds up at the end of the day.
Other recipes similar to this Light Shepherd’s Pie:
- 21 of the Best Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes
- The Best Turkey Meatloaf Recipe
- Chicken Parmigiana- Healthier Version
Healthier Light Shepherds Pie
- 1 lb red potatoes peeled and cut into quarters
- 1/3 cup low-fat milk
- 2 Tablespoons reduced-fat cream cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound ground beef extra lean
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 large carrots chopped
- 2 celery stalks finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas thawed
- 1 cup frozen corn thawed
- In a covered 2-quart saucepan place potatoes and add enough water to cover, heat to boiling on high. Reduce heat to medium; uncover and simmer 18 minutes or until tender.
- Drain well: return the potatoes to the saucepan, add milk, cream cheese and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Mash until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Heat large skillet on medium high heat, add beef and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the black pepper, cook about 5 minutes or until browned and cooked through, stirring and breaking up the meat.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer beef to a large bowl.
- In the same skillet on medium high heat, add onions, celery, and carrots, add 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Cook for about 8 minutes until veggies are soft
- Add wine to veggies, cook for about 2 minutes, stirring to incorporate brown bits from the pan and until reduced by half.
- Stir in thyme and beef, along with any juices
- Add peas and corn and combine well.
- 10. In a 3-quart baking dish, add beef and veggie mixture and spread evenly.
- 11. Top with the mashed potatoes and spread to cover the beef and veggies.
- 12 Bake for 25 minutes until top is golden brown.
Love Cast Iron?
Join us and receive "How to Season and Care for Cast Iron" ebook and weekly email newlestters to what's cooking at the Ranch.