This copycat cracker barrel coleslaw recipe is made with miracle whip coleslaw dressing. This is a super easy copy cat cracker barrel slaw recipe that tastes like the real thing.
We all have our favorite place to enjoy certain dishes like coleslaw. And some love KFC coleslaw but our favorite is Cracker Barrel coleslaw. So we made it a goal to try to recreate those amazing flavors with this copy cat Cracker Barrel Coleslaw recipe.
This post contains affiliate links which means if you make a purchase we might receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
We use all fresh ingredients like carrots, two different types of cabbages for this coleslaw recipe. And for our coleslaw dressing recipe we use fresh lemon juice, buttermilk and Miracle Whip and flavorful seasonings. Everything is mixed together and chilled for at least 3 hours to allow the flavors to marry for the absolute best copy cat cracker barrel coleslaw.
What is in this copy cat cracker barrel coleslaw recipe:
- 1 cup of Shredded Cabbage
- 1 cup of Shredded Carrots
- 1 cup of Shredded Purple Cabbage
- 1 cup of Miracle Whip
- 1 teaspoon of Celery Seed
- 1/2 teaspoon of Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of Pepper
- 1/3 cup of Sugar
- 1/4 a cup of Vinegar
- 4 teaspoons of Lemon Juice
- 1/4 cup of Buttermilk
- 1/4 cup of Milk
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Salad Shredder, optional
How to make home made coleslaw:
Scroll down for the printable recipe
Using a sharp knife or a salad shooter and shred your cabbages and carrots. Then place them in a large mixing bowl and mix well.
NOTE: you could use a bagged mix for coleslaw but it’s usually not as tasty as freshly shredded cabbages and carrots.
Add the miracle whip, celery seed, salt, pepper, sugar, vinegar, buttermilk, milk, and lemon juice to the cabbage/carrot mixture.
Using tongs or a couple of forks to this Crackle Barrel coleslaw until very well combined. Cover and place in your refrigerator and chill for 3 hours prior to serving.
Remove your slaw from the fridge and give it a stir or a couple tosses to mix everything together. Serve at your next cookout, BBQ or picnic.
Tips for making the best coleslaw:
- The easiest way to shred cabbage for coleslaw is with a food processor or a salad shooter but it can be done with a very sharp knife or a box grater
- How to prevent coleslaw from being watery or soupy after adding dressing? Place your shredded cabbage in a colander over a bowl or in the kitchen sink. Add salt to it and toss it to combine and allow it to set for at least an hour preferable 3-4 hours then rinse out the salt. Pat dry with paper towels, the cabbage will appear limp but it is crisp and will absorb the dressing better. This will remove the excess liquid from the cabbage prior to adding the dressing.
- How to have crisp coleslaw? Remove excess water from the cabbage by sweating the shredded cabbage with salt in a colander in the steps mentioned above.
- When to serve coleslaw after adding dressing? Always allow dressed coleslaw to set in fridge for at least 3 hours prior to serving.
- How to store coleslaw? always store coleslaw in the refrigerator and it should be consumed within 3-5 days after combining with dressing. Never leave it out for longer than 2 hours.
What to serve with coleslaw?
- Pulled pork on a bun
- Apple Seasoned BBQ Baby back Ribs
- Chicago Dogs
- Homemade Corn Dogs
- Chicken Pineapple BBQ Skewers
Other Side Dish Recipes:
Click HERE to save this CopyCat Cracker Barrel Cole Slaw Recipe to Pinterest
Copycat Cracker Barrel Coleslaw Recipe
- 1 cup Shredded Cabbage
- 1 cup Shredded Carrots
- 1 cup Shredded Purple Cabbage
- Using a sharp knife or a salad shooter and shred your cabbages and carrots. Then place them in a large mixing bowl and mix well.
- Add the miracle whip, celery seed, salt, pepper, sugar, vinegar, buttermilk, milk, and lemon juice to the cabbage/carrot mixture.
- Using tongs or a couple of forks and toss until very well combined. Cover and place in your refrigerator and chill for 3 hours prior to serving.
- Remove from the fridge and give it a stir or a couple tosses to mix everything together and serve.